Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Flying Day

Apparently the trick to making the hours fly by is to take husband into work late and spend the rest of the morning at Chik Fil A. Ezekiel went straight to sleep when we got home and we left an hour after he woke up to pick husband up from work.

Yesterday was one of the longest days ever while all of today seemed shorter than yesterday's lunch. Why is that? I had 15 activities planned yesterday and we blew through them by noon. It was fun and productive and then everything fizzled after naps and I almost lost my mind by dinner. Nothing was planned today except the desire to leave the house.

Sometimes I scratch my head and wonder what went wrong in a day. Other times I know exactly what went right. Ezekiel woke up from his nap today crying and sad. He didn't know why but wanted me to hold him. I spent as long as he needed and set aside everything that I had planned. We snuggled and read Narnia, talked, and cooked together. He specifically asked that I 'cook' the yogurt by 'dumping' it into the pot. Cooked yogurt it was. I mean, what did I have to lose besides a little yogurt? I knew he was feeling loved and accepted and happy when we left the house to get Patrick. Sure enough, he spent 30-45 minutes walking around the BX with us. He needed a little guiding and some good boundaries but basically he was responsive and engaging the whole time. He controlled himself well and was resilient when I bought almost nothing that he asked for. When we left he was smiling and happy. So worth the effort this afternoon to fill him up with love! I think thats the biggest thing I'm learning about three year olds right now: when they know and experience that they are unconditionally loved, accepted, and desired, their behavior issues almost vanish.

All in all, it was a good day. Zipporah even cried less than normal in her car seat. Which means we had about ten minutes of quiet in the course of a couple hours of driving!

No comments: