Monday, January 17, 2011

My Heart Swells

Tonight Ezekiel hopped up from the table saying he was all done. As he took off his bib he said, "Thanks for making dinner for me Mom." Hello! I've never even asked him to say that before. Just straight from his little heart.

Since the week before Christmas, we've been doing 'readings' with Ezekiel. he picks a Bible story and we pick a prayer (The Lord's Prayer) and do a little catechism memory work. Then he gets a piece of candy (chocolate). A couple days ago I was saying the Lord's Prayer when he busted in on me and completed the daily bread line before I could say it. I was stunned as I had no idea he'd memorized any of it. Tonight he completed each line as Patrick recited it and he got each word right except that he replaced 'temptation' with 'heaven'. We tried not to snicker but mostly we could barely contain our pride.

When you ask Ezekiel why we eat candy at Christmas, he says 'because the gospel is sweet.' How cute is that?

I truly wish I understood why he's in such a jolly mood one day and so impossible the next. What is it that makes the difference? I'm guessing I'm not the first mom to be baffled by this mystery which is perhaps why its been chalked up to something as ludacris as getting up on the wrong side of the bed. I suppose I shouldn't try to understand things about my kid that I don't even understand about myself.

No comments: