Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Notes

Zipporah really hates her car seat. Proof: 20 minutes of crying to Chik Fil A, 20 minutes on the way home, 18 minutes of crying on the way to the base, and 35 minutes on the way home. Holy smokes. Even Ezekiel was feeling rattled by the time we finally landed at home for the last time today. Its enough to make a mom stay at home!

Ezekiel busted his ear big time. About 45 minutes later he slammed his hand in the dryer lid. Both are major injuries for Ezekiel and both occurred in one night. What's going on?

We had a great day today. I nearly finished Ross Campbell's 'How to Really Love Your Child' and am implementing lots of his techniques or principles. Its amazing how well they are working so far. I'm leary of techniques and of saying something is 'working' as though kids were machines or science projects. What I mean is that Campbell basically lists ways to help your kids feel unconditionally loved and accepted and suggests a parent focus on doing that well rather than on a child's behavior. The result? Pleasant behavior and less resistance to direction. I really appreciate that he describes discipline as training. I think of discipline as discipleship. Basically teaching my kid what he needs to know and walking alongside him with guidance and hopefully a little wisdom.

Today we played Go Fish, Memory, we colored, stamped, cut, and glued,played at Chik Fil A with friends, created a special reading place inside a tent and began Stuart Little. Ezekiel helped me cook, helped care for Zipporah, and chattered with me all day long. He said I love you, please, thank you, I'm sorry, I forgive you, and you're welcome all day long without direction. We talked about telling the truth versus lying and he decided to tell the truth once he understood that God didn't like lying. It made no difference to him that I didn't care for it. I guess if its between me and God, its better that God be the motivator! And we finally made some progress with directing the intense anger and bursts of violent emotion into pleasant words. Its not that he can't have the emotions, its just that he's learning to communicate them productively.

Like I said, it was a good day and a busy one. So far I love parenting two kids better than one. Their different needs and schedules give me a sense of order and structure during the day. I'm able to make better use of the individual minutes when they don't all run together. Life is good.

No comments: